Saturday, April 27, 2013

Saturday's Smile/Cool Tools 4KCBWDAY6

Write about your favourite knitting or crochet (or spinning, etc) tool.

I thought today I would combine my "Saturday's Smile" with my Day 5 post for Knit and Crochet Blog Week since my favorite tool definitely makes me happy. :)

My favorite tool is my hook caddy. I bought it at Target a few years ago in their impulse buy section for $2.50. It has been worth every penny and then some! It is actually a child's "Art Caddy," but it serves me well in its current function so, oh well. :)


It has plenty of room to hold all of my crochet hooks, my "go-to" knitting needles, a few pair of scissors, and some other supplies. The bottom has a lazy susan type mechanism that allows it to turn giving me easy access to everything.

I just wanted to talk quickly about some more of my favorites. I prefer Boye hooks, Bates are okay, but they tend to split the yarn on me. I have a set of bamboo hooks but don't care much for them. They have a "tooth" to them that holds onto the yarn. The slick metal hooks allow me to move faster allowing me to be more productive. That's always a good thing! :)


Ironically, in regard to bamboo knitting needles, it's that drag that I love about my Clover bamboo needles. I'm not a great knitter so I need all the help I can get! The slick metal makes me drop too many stitches. Someone on a forum years ago suggested I try these. Oh my, what a difference!

The ones above are the sizes I grab most often, 6, 7, and 8. I have metal ones in all types and sizes but keep them tucked away as I never use them. I've been toying with the idea of creating this just so I can give them something interesting to do. :)

I also have a few specialty hooks, and with me being a Bee, I have to show you this one I picked up on ebay a few years ago. I had a hard time getting a good picture, but hopefully you get the point.




Well, that's it for today. I was out all day so am behind on reading posts from yesterday but I will be catching up over the weekend. I look forward to reading about everyones favorites!

EDIT: I meant to say... when I saw Bek's video on her blog Polka-Dots & Sparkles, like the bee that I am, I was instantly drawn to the Ten Stitch Blanket she had on her needles. The wip above is the beginnings of a Ten Stitch doll blanket for my daughter's classroom (she's a pre-K teacher). LOL


4KCBWDAY6

6 comments:

  1. Clever to use a caddy! I also don't like bamboo hooks - the smaller sizes, that is. From size 6 up it's better...but I do sand them down a bit, in the hook part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what is that hook made from? I love my bamboo hooks - I had an arm op to move the ulnar nerve in my elbow a year ago and the bamboo puts less strain on my arm which is only 90% recovered. I also prefer the organic feel of the hook but sometimes whip out a metal hook depending on yarn size and stich. Lovely posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post; love your hook caddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the art caddy turned crafter's tool caddy!! Such a clever use of resources-- I should get my hand on one of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great crafting use of an alternative tool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I love those colours on the 10 stitch blanket. I really need to spend more time with mine.

    That caddy looks fantastic. I am forever looking for scissors!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave me a comment. I will try to respond asap. :)

I don't, however, love to hear from spammers so I've had to turn on comment moderation. My apologies if it takes a little while for your comment to show up.