Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week: Day Two

Day Two: 29th March. Skill + 1UP
Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?


Today's post was a hard one to write. I've been crocheting for 35 years, and while I believe there's always something new to learn, there's just not anything in the past year that I see I'm doing any differently. I haven't learned any new techniques or skills. No new stitches or unusually complicated patterns. I've done both tunisian and single crochet entrelac. I know how to crochet cables (and knit them too.) I've even made a sock! I've never met a pattern I couldn't conquer. From the very beginning I took to knitting and crochet like a duck to water. It all seemed to come naturally to me.

I think the hardest thing I've ever done was teach my daughter how to crochet. As you probably already know I am left-handed. As a lefty I'm used to looking at the world backward. I can look at what a right handed person is doing and reverse it in my mind and know what to do. Imagine learning to crochet with nothing but mirror images where left is right and front is back. I learned at an early age to make this compensation and it has been an invaluable tool to me ever since.

My daughter on the other hand (pun intended) is right handed. For her the world is just as it should be. So looking at me and trying to reverse the images wasn't working. Even when I guided her hand... So what was a mother to do? I sat down, crochet hook in right hand, and started awkwardly crocheting right along with her. We both struggled at first and created some wonky looking stitches. But we made it through and she is now a fabulous crocheter and designer!

As for myself, well I never could get past those beginner wonky stitches and was quite happy that she was able to catch on quickly. I am a proven lefty and always will be.

Knitting on the other hand is a different story...

2kcbwday2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you so please leave me a comment. I will try to respond asap. :)

I don't, however, love to hear from spammers so I've had to turn on comment moderation. My apologies if it takes a little while for your comment to show up.