Thursday, March 31, 2011

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week: Day Four

Day Four: 31st March. Where are they now?
Whatever happened to your __________? Write about the fate of a past knitting craft project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity.

I've crafted many, MANY gifts over the years. This includes knitting, crochet, cross stitch, quilting, beading... you name it. For whatever reason most of them have never been seen again. I admit some of those gifts may have missed their mark due to poor planning or mis-interpreted enthusiasm on my part, but I always try to put a lot of thought and effort behind my crafted gifts. I truly enjoy sharing my love of crafting with those around me.

Sadly, several years ago I decided that I would no longer be giving hand crafted gifts to friends and family members. That is with the exception of my children who, (I think... I hope... at least this is what they tell me,) appreciate my thought, time, and effort. They make specific requests and are honest with me about what they like and don't like. I don't gift anything that hasn't been discussed and planned with them ahead of time, whether they know it or not. I can be sneaky that way. hehe

Others are not as enthused as my children though, even when they specifically ask for something. Several years ago my grandmother asked for an afghan I had made. It was already finished. She knew exactly what it looked like. I felt pretty darn confident (and rightfully so, in my opinion) in knowing that she would like it. She displayed it on the back of her couch for all of about 3 months, then it disappeared. When I asked her what happened to it, she said, "Oh, that old thing? I gave it to Goodwill."

OLD??? I was furious! But I got over it. A few years later she saw a pillow I was working on. She raved about it. It was so pretty. She wanted one. I gave it to her. It sat in the gift bag in the corner of her bedroom behind the door for well over a year, then one day it was gone. I never got the nerve to ask, but I knew...

When I started thinking of all the gifts I had ever given, and never saw again, I can't help but wonder if they met the same fate. I love Goodwill. I shop there often and have picked up some awesome deals. I donate to them quite regularly old clothes; household items and the like. But it was never my intention to craft for them.

2kcbwday4

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, do I agree with you! I have on relative who is a knitter, who will rave if I give her hand made craft and then I never see it in use or around her house, I doubt we are alone in our experience.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave me a comment. I will try to respond asap. :)

I don't, however, love to hear from spammers so I've had to turn on comment moderation. My apologies if it takes a little while for your comment to show up.