Sunday, March 28, 2010

LYS Review

I'd never stepped foot in a LYS (local yarn store) before yesterday, not because I didn't want to, but because the opportunity had never presented itself. A New Yarn is a brand new LYS in Springfield, MO. I found them via their group on Ravelry earlier this month and knew I must visit!

WOW! is all I can say. I've heard so many LYS stories from different areas of the U.S. (both good and bad) that I really didn't know what to expect. Well there are no horror stories to be found here! I was greeted upon entering by an exceptionally friendly and helpful, but not at all overbearing, staff that obviously strives for a cozy atmousphere. I immediately felt at home.

I was on sensory overload as I perused the stunning displays of fibery goodness. The inventiveness and creativity that went into the displays is impressive. Of course there were the expected "cubbies" full of center pull skeins, and the "wall of hooks" displaying hanks ready to be wound, but what caught my eye was the display of Rowan Cotton seemingly tossed in an old washtub, the Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille arranged on an antique hutch, and even more yarn packed into a strategically opened drawer, all adding to the cozy, homey feeling.

Their spacious layout lends to the comfortable atmousphere. I could have easily strolled Ben around if necessary without feeling like the displays would come crashing down. I was in such awe of the yarn and displays that I almost didn't notice the comfy seating area. I could just picture a group of ladies sitting and talking about the week's events while knitting or crocheting. Such fun!

Much to my amazement, I only walked out with one skein of yarn. I bought a ball of Crystal Palace Yarn's Cotton Chenille in Bubblegum Pink. I've been wanting to play with this yarn ever since I saw the Reverse-Bloom Flower Washcloth in Weekend Knitting a few years ago. I have a few projects I need to wrap up, but I will definately be playing with the chenille soon!



I regret not planning my trip a little better. I really should have made a list of my current WIMs and the proposed fibers for those projects. I knew I needed some feltable wool but had not a clue as to my color needs. I stood there looking at their huge display of Cascade 220 feeling a bit overwhelmed. I know I could have asked for help, and it would have been given without hesitation, but with no idea of the direction I wanted to take with my color effect, it would have been frustrating for both of us. :(

The stress was all in my own head though. I felt rushed because I knew Cyndi and Ben were waiting anxiously in the car for me so we could grab some lunch. But even with feeling rushed, I had a blast petting all of the amazing yarn that I've only seen on the internet or in magazines.

Thank you A New Yarn for providing me with a wonderful shopping experience. The yarns are fabulous and the prices are easy on the wallet. I'm already planning my next shopping trip, and next time I will make sure I have plenty of time to explore!

If you're ever in the area, pay them a visit and tell them DishclothDiaries sent you! Even if you don't knit or crochet, it's definitely worth the trip just to see the colorful and inventive displays alone! :)

1 comment:

  1. I have not been to a local shop in over 15 years. Michaels, Joanne's, and Walmart are usually where I hit. But I might check some out locally after reading how much fun you had.
    I used to visit a mill-ends shop in southern CA, and they had bins and bins of yarn that had to be wound, but it was worth it because the price was incredible. I was so sad when it closed.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Hugs
    Evie
    http://prayersncrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave me a comment. I will try to respond asap. :)

I don't, however, love to hear from spammers so I've had to turn on comment moderation. My apologies if it takes a little while for your comment to show up.